Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The active substance of Sumatriptan tablets has a stimulating effect on the 5-HT1 receptors of mainly the blood vessels of the membranes and the substance of the brain. more info Due to this effect, the narrowing of locally dilated vessels occurs, due to which the severity of pain during the development of a migraine attack decreases. The drug does not have a direct analgesic effect, therefore it is not an analgesic.
After taking Sumatriptan tablets inside, the active component of the medication is quickly and almost completely absorbed into the systemic circulation. It is evenly distributed in the tissues, penetrates the structures of the central nervous system. Sumatriptan is biotransformed predominantly in the liver using the enzyme system monoamine oxidase (MAO) to inactive decay products that are excreted in the urine. The half-life (the time during which half the entire dose of the drug is excreted) is 2.5 hours.
What can replace triptans with migraine?
Most people use analgesics to treat migraines. The disease has a neurological nature, the mechanism of action is associated with spasm of blood vessels, due to which blood flows to the brain. Then there is pain.
If you use analgesics or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the effect will not be as significant as with triptans. NSAIDs can be taken with mild seizures. But if the pain is severe, then it is better to purchase a medication from the group of triptans. And it is also allowed to use NSAIDs if there is no effect from the use of a spray. For example, Imigran.
When the discomfort is very strong, even triptans may not have an effect. In this case, narcotic analgesics are prescribed. They are dispensed from pharmacies strictly according to the prescription, the decision on the appointment is made by a specialist.
If the discomfort increases gradually, the sensations are not like migraines, triptans will not be effective. It is better to replace drugs with analgesics or NSAIDs..
Points for distinguishing migraine from headache:
- Strong ripple. With migraine, you can notice this item. Moreover, the ripple is felt in the head, if you put your finger to the temple. And with ordinary pain, discomfort is dull in nature, not very distracting from life.
- One-sided pain. Migraine occurs on two sides, but this is a rare occurrence. Mostly discomfort appears on the left or right. A headache is often bilateral.
- The occurrence of flashes of light. About 25% of people with migraines notice this symptom. It is called an aura. The sign is manifested in the form of impaired vision - a flash of light, the picture looks like pixels. With a usual headache, there are no such symptoms..
- Sensation of weakness and tingling. Some people have difficulty pronouncing words..
- Nausea. The symptom is noticeable in many people with migraines. In severe cases, vomiting occurs.
- Sensitivity to odors. With migraine, this symptom occurs..
- Vivid signs do not decrease with the help of over-the-counter medicines. With a usual headache, you can take drugs with a weak effect, and they will make a person feel better. For example, Ibuprofen, Nurofen.
- Long-term manifestation of pain. A migraine attack can last a long time - from several hours to a day.
Dosage and administration:
Inside, the tablet should be swallowed whole, washed down with water. Treatment should begin as early as possible in case of a migraine attack. The recommended dose is 50 mg, if necessary 100 mg.
If the symptoms of migraine do not disappear and do not decrease after taking the first dose, then the drug is not used again to stop the same attack..
To stop subsequent attacks (with the reduction or disappearance of symptoms, and then resumption), you can take a second dose over the next 24 hours, provided that the interval between doses is at least 2 hours.
The maximum daily dose is 300 mg..
Sumatriptan is not used to prevent migraine attacks.
Use with caution in cases of impaired liver and kidney function, as well as in patients with epilepsy or other impaired brain function..
When stopping attacks, it is advisable to start treatment as early as possible, however, the introduction of sumatriptan during the aura period, until other symptoms appear, may not prevent the occurrence of a headache.
When treating with sumatriptan, symptoms sometimes resemble bouts of angina pectoris - pain, a feeling of constriction in the chest. http://www.rxlist.com/imitrex-side-effects-drug-center.htm In this regard, sumatriptan should not be used if there is a suspicion of undiagnosed diseases of the heart and blood vessels, until an appropriate examination is carried out..
If there is no effect on the administration of the first dose of sumatriptan, the diagnosis must be verified..
Safety and efficacy in children and adolescents under the age of 18 have not been established.
Influence on the ability to drive vehicles and control mechanisms
With migraine, as well as during therapy with sumatriptan, drowsiness may develop. Therefore, during the period of use, patients should be especially careful in driving and engaging in other potentially hazardous activities that require a high rate of psychomotor reactions..